‘I AM OLD, FRAIL’: FPRRD REQUESTS TO SKIP CONFIRMATION HEARING

Manila, Philippines – Former President Rodrigo Duterte wishes before the International Criminal Court Pre-Trial Court to be able to skip both personal and virtual appearance to the scheduled confirmation hearing for his crimes against humanity charges.

In a letter submitted by Duterte through his legal counsel, he requested to waive his right to appear for the legal proceedings scheduled on February 23-27.

While he said he understands the consequences of his non-appearance, he expressed confidence to his legal defense team, leaving the process up to them.

In his letter, Duterte cited his current condition as old, tired, and frail, and that he does not wish to participate in the hearings which he says he won’t be able to recall minutes after.

It can be recalled that his camp has previously cited Duterte’s health and deteriorating cognitive condition in their appeal for his interim release request.

This was the same reasoning ICC considered when it postponed the initial confirmation hearing citing that Duterte is not fit to stand trial.

Duterte expressed hope that the court will respect his decision to be at peace while in detention, saying that he has also accepted the fact that he may die inside the prison.

“I wish for this Court to respect my peace inside the cell it has placed me. I have accepted the fact that I could die in prison. But those that desire this fate for me should know that my heart and soul will always remain in the Philippines.”

In the same letter, Duterte reiterated his position that he does not recognize ICC jurisdiction over him, emphasizing that his forced arrest is a violation of the Constitution and national sovereignty of the Philippines.

He described his arrest, under ICC’s arrest warrant and Interpol’s implementation, as kidnapping, facilitated by the Marcos administration.

Duterte added that the allegations of him orchestrating a policy that allowed extra judicial killings are outrageous lies, peddled by his political opponents.

“These claims have been peddled by my political opponents for many years and, as my nation knows, they are based on the word of individuals whose credibility has been thoroughly discredited.”

The Pre-Trial Chamber has no confirmation yet on whether the request was granted.

On the other hand, on Duterte’s claims that the Office of the President funded the plane that transferred him to the Hague, Netherlands, the Malacañang Palace reiterated that the arrest was aligned with the law.

Palace Press Officer and Undersecretary Claire Castro explained that under the law, the Philippines has an obligation to comply with policies of international courts conducting an investigation.

Castro clarified that the Philippines is not under ICC’s jurisdiction anymore since its withdrawal in 2019, but has an obligation to comply with legal measures for actions and incidents that happened while the country was still a member of the Rome Statute.

In Duterte’s case, the Philippines was under Rome Statute when the investigated alleged extra judicial killings under Duterte’s war on drugs campaign happened.

Castro meanwhile said that the Palace has no information yet on the claims that OP funded the plane but explained instead.

Share this