Manila, Philippines – The Philippines is not responsible for the collision between the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) and the China Coast Guard (CCG) in the West Philippine Sea (WPS).
This was emphasized by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), on Friday, following the incident that occurred in the Bajo de Masinloc or Scarborough Shoal on August 11.
According to Foreign Affairs Secretary Ma. Theresa Lazaro, the incident was unexpected but the Philippines is not the cause of the collision.
Instead, the Philippines is demanding China to pay for the damaged Philippine vessel and equipment due to the collision with the Chinese ship, which happened on June 17, 2024.
The DFA has also previously expressed concern over the dangerous maneuvering of the CCG vessel against Philippine ships in the West Philippine Sea.
Despite the incident, President Bongbong Marcos previously said that legitimate operations by personnel of the Philippine Navy, PCG, and the Armed Forces of the Philippines will continue, particularly in the waters within the country’s Exclusive economic zone.
Senate Deputy Minority Leader Risa Hontiveros said Beijing is covering up the maritime mishap in the West Philippine Sea by spreading misinformation about the incident.
The Senator demands Beijing to pay for the environmental destruction it has caused in Philippine waters. Hontiveros also said she intends to refile the resolution urging China to pay nearly P20 million for damages it caused in the ocean.-Alvin Pelobello, Eurotv News