SCHOOL VIGILANCE LEADS TO FIREARM RECOVERY IN PINAMUNGAJAN

Cebu, Philippines — A firearm was recovered from the bag of a 14-year-old student during a surprise inspection at Lut-od National High School in Barangay Lut-od, Pinamungajan, Cebu on August 20, 2026.

The firearm was discovered at around 3:50 PM  when a teacher inspected the students’ bags as part of the school’s safety measures. The school administration immediately coordinated with police authorities, who responded and secured the firearm.

Police recovered a .357 Smith & Wesson Magnum revolver without ammunition. The firearm was taken for proper documentation and disposition.

Initial investigation showed that the firearm was allegedly owned by the student’s grandfather and had been kept inside a cabinet at their residence in Purok Santol, Barangay Lut-od. Authorities said the minor took the firearm from the cabinet and brought it to school.

As the student is a minor, authorities followed the appropriate procedures and turned the child over to the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office while waiting for the arrival of the parents or guardians.

The recovery came amid strengthened security measures in schools across Cebu following a recent shooting incident at a senior high school in Zamboanga that resulted in two deaths.

Following the directive of Cebu Governor Pamela S. Baricuatro, the Cebu PPO has intensified police presence in schools through a one-police-to-school deployment scheme in coordination with local government units and school administrators.

Governor Baricuatro likewise emphasized the need for continued vigilance and cooperation among authorities, schools, families, and communities.

“The safety and security of our students, teachers, and school personnel remain among our foremost priorities. We must remain vigilant and united in protecting our children. Our schools should be safe spaces for learning, growth, and hope, and the Provincial Government of Cebu will continue to work with the police, schools, and communities to safeguard our students and ensure their safety,” Governor Baricuatro said.

The incident remains under investigation, while appropriate intervention for the minor is being carried out in coordination with the MSWD and the child’s parents or guardians.

The Cebu PPO emphasized that maintaining school security requires a collective effort, with schools, families, communities, local government units, and law enforcement agencies working together and remaining vigilant.—Angel Monar, Contributor

Share this